Pages

  • Home
  • About Me
  • Favourite Reads
  • Contact

Friday, January 9, 2015 Remember me? And the 365 Project // Day 1-9

Alrighty. Talk about long-time-no-see. I don't want to inundate you with a long list of excuses for my absence, so I'll save you that boredom. In a nutshell, life got in the way. More specifically - a thesis and visa applications got in the way. But I'm back. And I've missed this! 

I'm in a really weird head-space at the moment. For the past couple of months I've always had something to stress about... there was always something I "needed" to be doing, or somewhere I needed to be. And then as of New Years, everything was submitted - both my project report and George's visa application, and all of a sudden I could breathe. I allocated the week after New Years to just chill, guilt free - to binge watch TV shows I've been wanting to watch, and binge read books I've been wanting to read. But it's like I still can't shake this feeling that I constantly need to be doing something. The final semester of my Masters degree doesn't begin until late February, and so I have to figure out how I can use my time until then - in ways that are both non-stressful and productive. I've got a few ideas up my sleeve. I've started a free 30 day yoga program (really recommend). I've downloaded some recipe apps so that I can begin to expand my cooking repertoire beyond pasta and sweet potato chips. And I also turn to you, ol' bloggy friend ;) 

I've decided that I want to try and commit to the 365 photo challenge. I'm sure you've heard of it, and it's also pretty self-explanatory - but basically you try to take at least one photo per day, for an entire year. Other than that, there are no other guidelines or 'rules'. I like the idea for several reasons. I like that it will motivate me to take a moment out of each day to document something and to try and 'creatively' capture it, if I'm feeling that way inclined. I like that it will provide an accessible and non-daunting way to blog. And I'm just interested in giving it a shot, basically, and seeing how it goes. I also love the idea that 'mundane' rituals in people's lives can be somewhat interesting to someone else. Or they might be totally fricken... mundane. But I guess we'll find out!

So here are the first 9 days of my 2015. I know everyone says this.. but I can't believe we're already 9 days into the new year. It's scary. I planned to upload these after a week, and totally lost track of the date. I will try to make these weekly from now on :) 



1st January - New Years Day. Yup, we chilled. And slept. And ate fried food. 





2nd January - People in our neighbourhood have the habit of leaving beautiful and not-so-beautiful furniture out on the street, for other people to take. We've collected a few pieces over the last year - a standing mirror and a desk chair, to name but a few. George and I spotted this beauty on our way back from getting dinner, and at the time it seemed like a good idea - in fact, it wasn't even a question, this TV cabinet needed to be ours. The photo doesn't do justice to how heavy this thing is. My shoulders and hands hurt for dayyys from carrying it up the street and up the stairs to our apartment. When we finally got it through the door, it occurred to me, where the hell as we going to put it? It's way too bulky for our small apartment. We're actually moving at the end of February, and I convinced myself that we'll find a way of fitting it into our new place.. but I think I'm kidding myself. Anyway, for now it's just sitting there, between the couch and the desk, blocking the sunlight into our apartment... what a find ey :S 





3rd January - My sister leant me this book. And I was hooked from the very beginning. (Until I got hooked onto something else.. to come later). Roxane doesn't just talk about feminism, but about race, about our bodies, about our culture - a whole range of topics. It's challenging but accessible. I haven't yet finished it (once again, this will be explained later) but I still highly recommend it.





4th January - Mum got George this AeroPress coffee machine for Christmas. It goes without saying that I use it 10 times more than George. It's amazing. I love it. Thanks Mum!






5th January - Cos as they say, a summer just isn't summer without overpriced seasonal berries!






6th January - I haven't bought clothes for ages, and now that I actually have the energy to actually think about what I'm wearing, instead of just slapping on my 'study uniform' (ie stretchy pants and loose tops.. think boho-chic minus the chic and multiply the unflattering), it began to annoy me how little clothing options I had. Enter Boohoo. I know these tops don't look very 'summery', but I have a whole lot of girly, flowy 'grandma' skirts (continue to think boho-unflattering) that I felt needed to be paired with something a bit more 'edgy' and fitted. Maybe one day I'll even do an outfit shot, once I get over my photo-posing phobia. Maybe one day.






7th January - I promised the explanation as to why I haven't finished the book, and THIS is it. It's been a long time coming, but I finally understand the whole OITNB obsession. I understand. I'm there. 






8th January - I eat the same thing for breakfast almost every single day. I ain't gonna lie. They say variety is the spice of life, but I say who wants spice for breakfast :P (probably lots of people).






9th January - In summer I become obsessed with nail polish. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I usually have more time? Anyway. Lately it's been these three colours. It's funny because I don't think I would really wear any of these colours as an item of clothing, but for some reason I like these bright pastel/coral colours on my nails. It's the most flamboyant I'm ever gonna get :P




I hope you've all had a wonderful start to the New Year!!! xx



 

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...